Friday, January 30, 2009

A Memory a Day

Keeps the Alzheimer's at bay.

Working as a substitute teacher in the district I went to high school has me running into people directly or tangentially related to the past. So working the other day reminded me of a distant memory.

The year was 2002. The iPhone was 5 years away and mankind itself was eating away at itself without its presence.

I was walking through the halls on my way to class, desperately trying to avoid acknowledging the existence of a few people that had been my friends. I struck up conversation with another senior. We were shooting the bull about being screwed over. He eloquently quantified it as it being a cosmic wheel that we all take turns being crushed by. Asshole that I was (am), I had found an out: switch places with someone further down the wheel to delay the crushening that I was due.

We shared a laugh and collectively dubbed it, "Kyle's Kosmic Wheel of Komeuppence" or KKwoK for short.

I've brought up this wheel in later conversations but hadn't thought about it again until recently, walking those halls. Well, big wheel keeps on turning. And I've got some trading places to catch up on.

No comments: