Sunday, February 22, 2009

Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge

2004.

The throes of marching band were taking their toll psychologically and physiologically. At Cougar Place, Brandon and Robby both had dorms. In their common room, they had an Xbox. So, one night, we decided to go to Blockbuster and rent a few games. I ended up getting a copy of Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge.

Now, I've played Crimson Skies before on the PC and I always wanted to play the Xbox game. So, finally, I had the chance. Robby, Brandon and myself embarked on a long journey. Having never played the Xbox game myself, I figured we were all on pretty equal ground. (I was more or less right. I should have said level ground, as in it was fairly level where I was towering far above them.) I can not say I've never lost in Crimson Skies nor in Goldeneye, but once I got the hang of it, like Goldeneye, I could not be stopped.

The controls were simple to get and the mechanics didn't take too long to master. In an hour or so, I was sailing around, weaving between skyscrapers and shooting down my friends. I could immelmann out of danger and destroy you before you could barrel roll. I was a scourge of the virtual representation of the horizon.

I would go on to beat the game on its hardest difficulty in an un-upgraded Devastator. It took time to master, but I did it.

You cannot defeat me. If you ever want to die, I will see you on the streets of Chicago. Still no college regrets of how I spent my time, by the way.

No comments: