Monday, February 23, 2009

Do you have any ce-wew-wee?

In 1989, the future was now, only it wasn't since that's 20 years ago now.

In kindergarten, people thought I had a speech impediment. If I did, it was very slight. But, no. My problem was that I thought everyone I spoke to could keep up with how fast I spoke and could also hear me. A boy of slight height and weight, I didn't have a voice that carried so it was hard for an adult to hear me. I also spoke much, much faster than what I could type at the heighth of my programming endeavor. So unless you put serious cognitive effort behind it, you might have missed out on what I was saying. Years later, I'm fairly sure this is the case, since I spoke faster than people were comfortable hearing to try to keep up with my thoughts. I write much slower than my thoughts come to me, but I try like the Dickens to write the speed of my mind. This is one of three reasons of why my handwriting is often confused with hieroglyphics. (My wife disagrees. "Hieroglyphics are legible.")

Anyways, my next door neighbor did have a speech impediment. No one could really understand him because he spoke mostly gibberish and couldn't pronounce certain letters. One day, he came over asking for some vegetables on behalf of his mom. My mom couldn't understand him, so I stepped in as translator. "Mom, he wants cel-er-y," I spoke at regular my motormouth speed. "Oh!" She said.

I was reminded of the sheer speed I can sometimes speak when I'm excited and how I'm not always clear, because, somewhere, deep down, I'm sure everyone can understand my beautiful, precious thoughts and that I'm debasing myself by allowing me to be slowed down by mere words and grammar.

No comments: