Thursday, March 05, 2009

15-Ball

2002. UH.

Brandon and I spent a lot of time playing pool. We played more pool than we attended our psychology lecture. Around this time I was playing a lot of an online pool game called Carom 3D, which was programmed by Koreans. It was fun enough and did a decent job of pool physics. I played a lot with Sentell and Hai since we didn't live anywhere nearby at that point.

One day at the UC games room, I thought up a new pool game. I dubbed it 15-ball. It was simple: it was 9-ball, only played with all 15 balls and was for points, not sinking just the 9. The 1 ball was worth 1 point, the 2 was worth 2, and so on to 15. A full rack had 120 points in all. The object ball was always the lowest numbered ball and had to be struck first. But if, say, the 1 was struck first by the cue ball, and then that 1 ball hits the 15 and the 15 sinks, it was worth 15 points for sinking that ball.

We usually played to 500 or 1000 points. This would take hours. It was a lot of fun. Of course, I found out this variation of pool already existed, but I had thought of it prior to that. Oh, but we forbade the use of the bridge, just because.

Perhaps my time at college could have been spent more productively. Perhaps.

No comments: