Thursday, March 19, 2009

Ted

Ted, the unbeatable billiards game.

No one really knows the origin of Ted, a most insidiously designed malady of a game. Carlos and Terrence were playing it one day when I tagged along with them after Fencing practice.

Carlos was a character, and a I'll have a full memory of him later. Terrence was also a character. Terrence also wasn't his real name, it's just what we called him. They were both fencers, a unique subculture that stands out as being the most unique one I was ever a part of. Fencers, by and large, are interesting and fascinating people.

2005. Spring.

So, this is the story of Ted. Ted is a simple and evil game. Simply evil. The objective? Sink all 15 balls without missing. The player's only opponent is Ted. Ted has an intrinsic turn limit on it of 15 shots. Every shot must sink at least one ball. With me so far? Good.

The position of the balls is key. There are two balls, touching, next to each pocket, both side and corner. The remaining 3 balls are put into a triangle where the balls are usually racked in a more standard and less evil billiards game.

Now, I may have mentioned that I have played some pool. I was never able to beat Ted. Later on in the semester I had heard that Carlos and Terrence managed to conquer Ted, but I had never seen it myself.

Perhaps, one day, I shall conquer Ted myself.

No comments: