Friday, March 20, 2009

Pennywise, the Dancing Clown

November, 1990. This was when the world went from being a wonderful, exciting and new place to that of a sheer terror in every waking moment and sleep brings no respite.

I saw IT. IT was terrifying. IT doesn't stand up well to the test of time, and leaves a lot of unanswered questions, but when you're 6, IT's the stuff to traumatize you.

I am afraid of clowns, to this day, because of Tim Curry's top-notch and pants-wettingly scary portrayal.

Sure, Bob Gray, Pennywise, is just a fictional creation (albeit created by the best horror writer of the modern era), but I was 6! I didn't really know better. Here was this clown that ate children ... that was ... later a spider? Is there a turtle involved? I don't remember.

I ended up trying to read the book later and ... I think I might have to reread it. There's points that still don't make sense to me.

Yes, they ALL float down here!

No comments: