Friday, March 06, 2009

The Vacation

1992.

Coldness, thy name is Canada. I have relatives that live in Montreal. For Christmas that year my family decided to visit them. We also had family in Kanata, we also visited them.

It took 10 hours to get there by car. This is the only real trip out of the country I can remember. (I went to El Salvador to visit my grandfather when I was 5, I'm told. I have no recollection.) The car trip wasn't so bad. Mo and I were switching off on the Gameboy and books and stuff. I recall passing the border pretty late, but making sure to stay awake so I knew what it felt like the leave the greatest country on earth (again).

I recall the cold, cold weather. We spent maybe two weeks in Canada total. We spent one day sledding down a giant hill and almost freezing. We went to our relatives' house and warmed ourselves by the fire.

For Christmas, we drove around for awhile and Santa brought some SNES games that I had wanted: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and UN Squadron. Both games rocked at the time. Neither hold up well to time, but I was young and got what I wanted for Christmas and it was awesome.

When we finally returned home, I enjoyed being in our own snow, not the unforgiving Canadian Wildness.

No comments: