Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ceiling

There are a great many differences between Texas and Pennsylvania. Today, I'll focus on just one aspect.

2000.

Texas is far away from Pennsylvania, geographically and architecturally. This is to be expected, but then again, it's a different matter when you're used to one and then here's the other.

I was walking through the Baybrook Mall. Malls are generally the same, pretty much everywhere, I'd imagine. The remarkable thing to me was the size of it. Not the building, per se, but it was the ceilings that got me. The ceiling was as tall as the large two story mall's back at Pennsylvania.

It made sense. Hot air rises. Texas is 13.7 times hotter than human life can be sustained (in August). It's simple math, really.

The grandeur of tall ceilings when I first moved here gradually was replaced by familarness and even expectation.

I decided then and there that I would like to rekindle that grandeur in my summer palace, should I ever build one. Its walls would blot out the sun for surrounding towns for my one story palace.

No comments: