Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Place to Sit

To beat a dead horse: eating is a social experience. This was a conundrum when I didn't know anyone my first day of school in Texas.

2000. Lunch time came around and I shuffled into the cafeteria. Since I started after the beginning of school, I missed my chance to carve out my niche. Sure, I was the new guy, but I was at least an upperclassman.

I was trying to find a vacant spot when some band people I vaguely recognized called me over and asked me if I needed a place to sit. Well, I did. For that trimester, I always had a table from that point on.

It was a pretty good arrangement too. I always brought a lunch, so I was able to hold the table and secure chairs for the overcrowded eatery. In turn, I didn't eat alone.

Simpler times.

No comments: