Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Names 2

Fencers are a very odd sub-culture. One of the best things about it was the strip names.

I was told of the long standing tradition by Robby, whose name was Red (or Robot at one point). Santos, our club president in 2003 once ascribed a completely new name to a fencer, because the club already had too many people named Matt.

Carlos was my beginner's class instructor. During the second week, he gave me my strip name: the Discus Thrower.

We start practice with stretches. During one stretch I apparently assumed the position of an olde timey discus thrower.

I liked it. However, the following practice, Carlos changed my name. He said, "The Discus Thrower is too long. You are now The Olympian."

Booyah. Yup. That's a sobriquet I should use more often.

No comments: