Saturday, April 11, 2009

Getting into the Kitchen

I am a connoisseur of food. I have a wealth of information of culinary arts and at least a little bit of the science behind it. Whatever information I lack, I make up in bluster.

I cannot cook. When food is being made, however, I offer my services freely as a critic, or better still: as a criticizer.

1994.

I was enrolled in a summer program, a cooking one for children. I and 4 others went to a building and which had a kitchen. Every week for 5 or so weeks, we'd go and learned simple tips to take with us for the rest of our lives. Then we would make the recipe of the day and get to take home some samples.

I don't recall any of the tips, really, aside from using hot water to wash dishes. Oh, that and I can bake a really mean Mac'n Cheese when there's a cooking instructor going step by step through the recipe and 4 other kids to help.

No comments: