Sunday, April 05, 2009

The Matrix (Revisited)

Say what you will about the trilogy as a whole; it deserves it and so much worse. The first Matrix was a good and important film until the foul taint of the conclusion ruined it all.

2000. By this point I had seen the movie quite a few times and I was dying to see where the story went. That alone is enough to make me want to change it if I had it all to do over again. Though, I was specifically more inclined to kill to see it anyway, rather than die myself.

Anyway, this particular memory comes from me trying to explain the Matrix to a friend of mine from high school, and his family.

Matthew Bochanski, a gifted musician, was an overall good kid, if a bit naive. I went over to his house one day to play some music and otherwise hang out. Over some food, I mentioned the movie and tried to wax poetic on some of the philosophical points brought up in the film. His mother was confused, so I did my best to reconstruct the film and explain what was what. Specifically, she, and Bochanski's younger siblings couldn't keep track of what was the Matrix and what wasn't. I tried bringing up things I had read like color schemes or the more obvious plugs and gaunt appearances and they still didn't catch on so well.

Looking back, maybe they had it right, considering the end result.

No comments: