Thursday, April 30, 2009

Names 3

Shortly after I got my strip name the others in my class got theirs. This is the story of one such strip name.

I cannot remember his actual name but this is how he got the only name I remember him by.

We started fencing practice in the athletic club office. One day, the fencer came in asking a somewhat odd line of questions.

"Hey," he said, "does anyone use eBay?"

"Yeah, of course."

"Okay. I won an auction the other day and I didn't mean to. I got outbid and I didn't want to pay more than I had wanted to for something, so I started bidding to jack up the price so that the other guy would have to pay more. But, it turns out I ended up winning. So I didn't pay and they suspended my account. I was wondering how long it would be suspended."

"Well, what did they say when they suspended it?"

"They said they would suspend it indefinitely. How long do you think it would be before I can use it again?"

"Well, indefinitely."

"So, like after a day or so?"

"No, they said indefinitely."

"Oh, so like two days?"

"No, they said indefinitely. That means until they decide to reinstate it."

"Like a week or two, then?"

"..." At this point Carlos pointedly says, "Your name is eBay now."

And thus, eBay stuck. I wonder if he can use his account now.

No comments: